For the most part, Gorgons appear as humans. Their skin ranges from a dark copper color to a pale tan; hair is generally dark but may be light brown, and eye colors are generally an intense metallic color. Gorgons live in relative isolation and typically eschew clothing except as necessary.
Gorgons are generally humanoid, but each may have physical features that identify them as demihuman. The most common features are talons instead of fingers, coils of snakes for hair, fangs, and a steely, supernatural gaze.
Living in secretive clusters in often bizarre locations, Gorgon society remains a mystery to most other races. Many adventurers find themselves weeks away from the nearest settlement, on the brink of death, only to discover a Gorgon village on the top of a mountain or the heart of an ancient ruin.
Gorgons are highly protective in two senses: they are secretive of their culture and physically protective of family, friends, and loved ones. Protecting valued people and objects is a highly prized commendation for Gorgons.
The blood of the Gorgon is both a lethal poison and a powerful healing reagent. This relationship is often expressed in their culture. Gorgons are prone to see both danger and potential in every situation, and good and evil in all people.
Military and Combat
Gorgons’ tales are centered around heroic shield-bearers who defend their villages from outside danger. Their military trains nearly every member of the race in basic shield usage and each member of the village is expected to defend themselves and others as the need arises.
Shield-bearers may line the walls or defensible positions around a village. They might also dart into combat to give aid to the wounded, deliver supplies, or other tactical reasons.
Gorgon strategy typically involves setting up a strong defensive line and using magic to fend off attackers. Their militia-based military and small village structure mean that they are ill-suited to large offensive campaigns, but there are occasional skirmishes.
Standard Racial Traits
- Ability Score Racial Traits : Gorgons are fluid and friendly, but find it difficult to understand other races. They receive +2 Dexterity and +2 Charisma, but -2 Wisdom.
- Size : Gorgons are medium creatures, with no penalties or bonuses due to their size
- Type : Gorgons are humanoids with the Gorgon subtype.
- Base Speed : Gorgons have a base speed of 30 feet.
- Languages : Gorgons begin play with the Gorgon language. Those with high Intelligence scores may have other languages
- Poison-borne:+2 on saves against poisons, nausea, and sickness.
- Unnatural: -4 on Charisma-based checks versus animals; +4 AC versus animals
Feat and Skill Traits
- Defender: Gorgons are automatically proficient with all shields (except tower shields). Classes that already have shield proficiency instead gain Shield Focus.
- Songs of the Old Ones : Gorgons gain +2 racial bonus to Knowledge(History)
Gorgons may have a variety of traits. Each of the following traits represents a physical adaptation found in Gorgon territories. Players are encouraged to roll to randomly determine a trait. These traits may only be selected at level 1.
|1||Captivating Eyes: Some Gorgons have metallic, serpentine eyes that unnerve and fascinate other people.|
|2|| Hemotheurgist : All Gorgon blood is powerful, but usually it requires the skills of an alchemist or another arcanist to unlock. Some Gorgons can bring out this ability themselves. If the Gorgon is uninjured, it must be dealt lethal slashing or piercing damage to use this ability. |
|3|| Viperous Hair : Some Gorgons have a pit of living snakes for hair. The snakes are living creatures attached to the Gorgon’s head. For the purposes of spells and other abilities, the snakes are considered to be the same creature as the Gorgon.|
Favored Class Options
- Druid: Choose one spell appropriate for your level from any spell list. When using the Herbalism bond, you may create concoctions based on that spell. However, you must sacrifice some of your blood (worth 1 HP) to do so.
- Fighter: Add +1/2 bonus to CMB when using the fight defensively or total defense actions with a shield.
- Sorcerer: Add +1/3 to the DC of your bloodline spells.
- Witch: Add +1/3 to your effective witch level when using supernatural hexes.