Centaurs are humanoid, with the lower body of a horse.
Centaur stand taller than Humans or Gorgons, but significantly shorter than Minotaur. Accustomed to long runs over vast countryside, their bodies are toned and muscular but lean. Most centaur have an unkempt look which is difficult to tame, even if they have lived with sedentary humanoids for some time.
Most centaur wear minimal clothing. Their hindquarters have a natural coat. In colder climates they may wear simple shirts. Jewelry such as necklaces and hair accessories made from natural objects are common.
The driving force of centaur society is the trail of discovery. Centaurs place value on understanding and experiencing the world around them. Young centaur are taught under various experts and elders of their clan until they can set out on the trail themselves. They fixate on a specific topic, which culminates in a lifelong travel to completely understand that subject.
Centaur scholarship is some of the most advanced in the Hellas. Their texts on philosophy, the arts, as well as magical and scientific theory are some of the most sought after documents in the world.
Centaurs are relatively aloof with regards to religion. Although centaurs frequently engage in religious activities in the regions they visit, centaurs generally do not pursue religion with the same vigor as humans or gorgons. However, elder centaur are devout, having learned to see the divine in the world around them.
Military and Combat
Being constantly on the move, centaur rarely need a large army. Many conflicts are avoided by moving on. Skirmishes are common.
The centaur military unit is typically a small band suited for hit-and-run tactics. A combination of speed and archery is used to blitz targets before they can respond. Lassos may be used to detain enemies, as well as drag them behind. In melee, centaur like to hit fast, hit hard, and leave quickly.
Centaur often take a scholarly, strategic approach to military affairs. They study historic battles, military philosophy, and martial sciences.
Standard Racial Traits
- Ability Score Racial Traits : Centaur are rugged and powerful, with a discerning intellect, but also graceless and easy to spot. They receive +2 Constitution and +2 Intelligence, but -2 Dexterity
- Size : Centaur are medium creatures, with no penalties or bonuses due to their size
- Type : Centaur are humanoids with the Centauric subtype.
- Base Speed : Centaur have a base speed of 40 feet.
- Languages : Centaur begin play with the Centauric language. Those with high Intelligence scores may have other languages
Defensive Racial Traits
- Quadruped:+4 CMD to resist Trip attempts
Skill and Feat Traits
- Omen Reader: Centaur receive a +1 racial bonus to the DC of all divination spells they cast. 1/day they may cast Commune with Birds, Diagnose Disease, or Read Weather.
- Nomad: Centaur receive +2 Knowledge(Geography) and +1 Survival
- Trail of Discovery: +2 to knowledge checks regarding a single topic. Your topic is chosen at character creation.
Offensive Racial Traits
- Weapon Familiarity:Centaur are proficient with longbows (including composite longbows) and lassos.
Other Racial Traits
- Caravaneer: Centaur may carry 1.5x as much as a medium bipedal creature. For example, a creature with a strength of 13 normally becomes encumbered at 50 lbs. A centaur with a strength of 13 may carry 75 lbs. without penalty.
Favored Class Options
The following favored class options are available to all characters of this race who have the listed favored class, and unless otherwise stated, the bonus applies each time you select the favored class reward.
- Barbarian: Gain +1 damage when knocking an opponent prone with overrun.
- Cavalier: +1 to the maximum number of animals that can be trained or the number of feral animals that can be reared before incurring a penalty.
- Druid: Each time this is selected the Centaur may ignore 1 point of non-lethal damage from hunger, thirst, heat, or cold per day.
- Ranger: + 1/2 hour maximum hustle time per day.
- Rogue: + 1 foot to the maximum range you can sneak attack.